recommendme

Recommend Me is a weekly event hosted by Kate at The Neverending Shelf. All you have to do to participate is share a book that you loved reading for whatever reason. It can be something you read yesterday or years ago. I haven’t been able to participate for a few weeks, but I’m so glad I can do it again this week. If you have a second try it and let me know! I’d love to hear what books you have to recommend.

My choice for this week:

cityofbonescityofashescityofglass

City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

Published by Margaret K. McElderry Books (A Division of Simon & Schuster)

Publishers Summary for City of Bones: When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder — much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Clary knows she should call the police, but it’s hard to explain a murder when the body disappears into thin air and the murderers are invisible to everyone but Clary.

Equally startled by her ability to see them, the murderers explain themselves as Shadowhunters: a secret tribe of warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. Within twenty-four hours, Clary’s mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque demon.

But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know….

Hands

“Have you ever read a book that you just couldn’t put down? And I don’t mean, you thought it was pretty good and really were interested. I mean, you stay up until 3am because you absolutely HAVE to know what’s going to happen! Because these were those books for me. Not only do they have a great story with loads of suspense from book to book, but they are also amazingly funny. Some of the conversations between two of the main characters, Simon and Jace, had me laughing out loud and my husband asking me what was going on. It even intrigued him enough to pick up the books themselves and as a guy in his late 20’s he actually really liked them.

“These books are packed with action, humor, suspense and even a bit of romance (of course). The characters are fantastic and beautifully written. Cassandra Clare quickly became one of my favorite authors just by writing this series and I can’t wait for the next book in the series, City of Fallen Angels. As well as her new novel The Clockwork Angel coming in September this year! Please, do yourself the favor and pick up these ‘chunksters’! You won’t regret a single page in the almost 1600 page series, I promise!”

“As a bit of trivia/info I’ll even mention that though our dear Turkeybird was born before I ever read this series, he coincidentally bares the name of a certain character from these books. Who? Well, you’ll just have to read them and take a guess!”

The Preview for The Mortal Instruments Series:

Upcoming Titles You (meaning I’m dying for) may want to check out:
clockworkangel
The Clockwork Angel coming September 7, 2010
City of Fallen Angles coming March of 2011

For the Comments: Is there a book like this for you? One you would stay up all night to finish?

These books were purchased for our home library.
Purchasing products by clicking through the links in this post will provide us a modest commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

25 Responses to Recommend Me (5) – The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare

1. Jennifer G. says:

Someone was just raving about Magnus from this series in my Character Connection. Between the two of you, you’re going to have me starting this series soon! 🙂

I know there are a lot of books that kept me up all night, but I can’t think of many. Harry Potter for sure. I’m reading The Help right now and I’m having a hard time putting it down. Beautiful Creatures, Book of a Thousand Days and Water for Elephants were some more. I’d better stop there! 🙂

• Oh, you definitely should pick these up! They’ve been out long enough too that you could most likely pick them up at the library even.

I get to read The Help next month for my book club and I can’t wait! And can you believe I have a signed copy of Beautiful Creatures sitting on my shelf unread? Crazy, I know!

2. Marce says:

I go back and fourth on this series, I love how they kept you up all night.

My recommendation is verse novels by Lisa Schroeder

.-= Marce´s last blog ..Reviews of Books in VERSE for Recommend Me =-.

3. Bella says:

These books definitely kept me up through the night, I absolutely loved them! Other books that have had the same effect … wow, there’s FAR too many!! … Sookie Stackhouse, Cassie Palmer, Hunger Games … hehe, if I keep going, I’ll never stop (“,). Unless a book is seriously boring, chances are I’ll get so into it that I won’t be able to put it down 😀
    .-= Bella´s last blog ..HoP Ar0uNd ThE cL0Ck (!) =-.

4. Gina says:

Now see, I never connected the “clockwork” cover with the series even after seeing all the tweets about it. For some reason it just doesn’t look as connected as the other 3. Cie la vie! Alas, I have not read this series as of yet, but I do have Book 1 somewhere in the TBR mountain. The series that did this to me most recently would have been Twilight. As for individual books…most try to keep me up way past normal bedtimes, but that’s the fun in reading! ^_^
    .-= Gina´s last blog ..WINNER: Raven Stole the Moon by Garth Stein! =-.

• Well, actually the Clockwork Angel is a prequel to the 3 that are already out, which I only just found out. So, maybe that’s a bit why it seems different, I think the characters are going to be very different as well. But you should definitely dig that first book out!

As for Twilight…yes, I’d have to say it was the first “stay up all night” book for me too. Isn’t reading fabulous!

5. Cynthia says:

I felt the same way about this series! I love it so much and Jace of course is my favorite fictional character.

6. These have some beautiful covers! They remind me a bit of Dave McKean’s work, but with a metallic look. I keep meaning to pick them up but have yet to. I really want to to though!

I’d say a series that I got really into and had to stay up reading was Harry Potter! I read the first one when the movie came out then I read the 2nd at work, at home, in the car at lunch, then the third, then when I worked the 4th 5th and 6th launches at a bookstore, I stayed up the whole night reading and reading. Slightly the same with Percy Jackson.
    .-= Bri Meets Books´s last blog ..Film Fridays: How to Train Your Dragon =-.

• You really should pick them up soon! And I hadn’t thought of the connection with McKean, but it definitely strikes a resemblance for sure.

As for Harry Potter…I was fortunate to get on the wagon for those after all but one book was out. Maybe fortunate isn’t exactly the right word, because I ended up staying up multiple nights digging through each so I could read the last one right when it came out. But oh boy was it worth it! Fabulous choice!

7. Vicki says:

I’ve never seen these books before that I remember. They look interesting!

I’ve given you an Easter Basket to help raise money for Children’s Miracle Network
    .-= Vicki´s last blog ..Hershey’s Better Basket Blog Hop =-.

8. Charlotte says:

This series has been on my list for ages—some day!!
    .-= Charlotte´s last blog ..13 Treasures, by Michelle Harrison =-.

9. Aths says:

I enjoyed this series too, and would recommend it!!

10. Samantha says:

I have read the first in Cassandra Clare’s series and really want to read the others. As for your question I’d have to say Before I Fall most recently but there have been many others. I love the Harry Potter series, The Book Thief, and My Name Is Asher Lev.

• You really should pick up the next in the series, I think they just get better and better! And I can’t wait to read Before I Fall (I actually am doing a tour for it soon!!). And I completely agree with you on the other choices, great taste!

11. Juju says:

I have heard such great things about this series.

12. Christina T says:

I’m glad you love this series. I love them too and just discovered them over the summer. Now I can’t wait for City of Fallen Angels or Clockwork Angel.

Some other books I couldn’t put down: the Harry Potter series, The Hunger Games books, the Percy Jackson series, and The Lord of the Rings.

13. Tammy Dahle says:

Wow! between your review and trailer I am sold. I will be picking up the first book to this series! Thanks!
    .-= Tammy Dahle´s last blog ..CONTEST CRAZE 2010 =-.