It’s been a non-stop summer. I’m sure anyone who normally reads There’s A Book has noticed the slow down on my posts, but I’m blaming this entirely on the summertime. Having both kiddos home has been fun and challenging at the same time. Working from home with two kiddos can be interesting at times. We do quite a few activities throughout the week and so far I’m managing to juggle work with playtime pretty well. That said, school…is it starting soon?

So yesterday and today were spectacular days, for a number of reasons.

Calvin and Hobbes

First, one of my all-time favorite series has been made into a documentary. Calvin & Hobbes was such a huge part of my childhood, as I’m sure it was for most of you reading this. It was a rarity to find me without one of my large collection of Calvin & Hobbes books. Thinking back on that time it makes me realize just how much “unconventional” reading I did in my youth, something that I’m positive contributed to my passion for the written word. I’m so excited for the upcoming release of this documentary and I can’t wait to hear what everyone else thinks:

The other part of yesterday and now today has to do with my job as an agent. I promise I’m not turning my site into a place to just promote my author clients and so I hope you’ll forgive me if I take just a minute to celebrate. Yesterday I announced the sale of my first picture book and today the sale of my second picture book!!! Here are the blurbs from Publishers Weekly and Publishers Marketplace for my clients, Julie Falatko and Joanna Rowland:

Joanna Rowland PM Announcement

Snappsy PM Announcement

Julie's PW Announcement

The thing about all of this that gets me more than anything else was seeing their names, my clients, in these announcements and realizing I had even the smallest amount to do with helping them fulfill their dreams. Yes, I’ve been a blubbery mess over it the last day or so.

Book reviewing was and continues to be an extension of my passion for books that I’m able to share with everyone who takes the time to read them. Becoming a literary agent felt like the next natural step for me. I’m passionate about what my clients write in a way I never imagined I could be. I feel it’s both a huge privilege and responsibility to be a part of their publishing dreams, one I don’t take lightly. And now that things are starting to happen, in a big way, I feel more grateful than ever that these talented writers have put their trust in me. Simply incredible.

So, now we return to our regular summer insanity! I promise…more reviews, more interviews and just general bookish fun is coming! Thank you for continuing on this journey with me and for all of your support! It means the world to me.

12 Responses to Pressing the Pause Button…Calvin & Hobbes and Other Great News

1. robynski says:

I am over the moon happy for you! Your persistence has paid off. Who would have thought when you had the Turkeybird all of this would come from that? You always loved reading but picture books, as with everyone, got left behind until those little ones re-kindled that love of picture books again. Thank goodness for generations of little ones!

Thank goodness for authors! And their agents! Congratulations!

2. heidenkind says:

Congratulations!!! That’s super-exciting. And Idk how people work with kids at home. I have two dogs and that’s bad enough.

3. Diandra Mae says:

I had no idea those two were your first sales! I thought you were an old hand! haha! Congratulations on the sales, again and here’s to the rest of summer being just as fun and crazy. ;) (Says the person with two kids at home, counting down the days until school starts. ahem)

4. pamela james says:

I can’t find where to comment for the book GA-sooo-my favorite villion is the joker.

5. I am so happy for you and for your clients!!! I must read the Alligator one. (The other one I lived, so I am happy it’s been written, but don’t want to read it.)
    It’s funny. My post this week was on selling my adult novel. My other work is all children’s picture books. I don’t think I ever queried you. I’ve sold one to Beach Lane Books and they are holding on to another. I have a few more to send out.
    Have a wonderful family summer.

6. Take your time. Find your balance. Post when you can. We’re not going anywhere. We love you.

7. Stacy Couch says:

Congratulations, Danielle! Two book sales in two days? I’d blubber for joy too.

Can’t wait to read SNAPPSY. I follow Julie on Twitter, where she is just stupid funny, every day.

8. Rhythm says:

Congratulations on your great news!! WooHoo! Looks like a couple of good books to look for. And a Calvin and Hobbs film! Awesome! Thanks for sharing all of this!

9. PragmaticMom says:

Congrats Danielle! You are a natural at this! And thanks for the wonderful news about Calvin and Hobbes. Will share!

10. Congratulations to you! Very exciting!

11. Congrats! Both sounds so amazing and I just can’t wait to finally read it! :)

12. Gina says:

Ah yes, I remember Calvin & Hobbes…. ^_^. Congrats on the agent success though! Sounds like you’ve found your next niche.